What the EMU Students Are Saying–Carolyn
An interview with pre-student teacher Carolyn Roe:
What was your favorite lesson so far?
Fourth grade ELA students analyzed the artwork from the Chris Van Allsburg book The Mystery of Harris Burdick. They noted the characters, setting, mood, etc. They were so engaged that they got in trouble for continuing to discuss the art while we were giving instructions to the next step.:-)
What are the top five things you’ve learned this semester?
- Detailed procedures are the best bet for a smooth lesson.
- Students that are talking out-of-turn have something to say–ask them to share!
- Let students pair-share to prepare to speak to the class.
- Making a lesson interesting and open-ended generates more enthusiasm.
- Sometimes redirecting students instead of trying to manage every altercation works better to keep them learning. Thanks, Carolyn! These are some great reflections.